Friday, June 08, 2007

Paris vs. Star Valley

Paris Hilton is on her way back to jail. Cheer. Why do I care? I keep looking to see what happens next in the story. I'm curious to see how it plays out. I'm interested in how people react and in the cause and effect of life.

I'm also bored. Even when I'm busy at work, it's nice to have something distracting once in a while. I look at the newspaper- little blurbs about not much. I look at other articles that catch my eye on the internet. I click and click and click on people's blogs and in and out of my email to no avail or rarely. So, keeping up on Paris is about all I have to look forward to. I know they'll update that as soon as they can.

But, like the rest of the world who comments on the pages, it kinda makes me sick that we care and follow these stories and people so much. I think I get down more often now just because I spend so much time reading about people like Paris.

In contrast, I just read Mudder Bear's blog about Star Valley and I can see the place in my mind and my whole body relaxes. I immediately and without effort imagine kids and family and warm drinks on a cool front porch. Aaaah. I wrote previously about Mel and a friend's blogs and their husbands and babies and that it helped me believe that life is good and possible.

How do I get more Star Valley in my life and less Paris when I'm sitting in an office of hectic people with deadlines and pressing commitments? How do I escape? Or, better thought, how do I create that life...

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

I'm not providing an answer to your question, but it does fascinate me to realize that all we'd have to do is live in a different place geographically, and the whole world would be different. Seriously. If you went so far as to live in another country -- say, Iraq -- do you think life would be about what Paris Hilton does and whether or not we should go to 7-11 and get a Slurpee or just watch another episode of Friends? It's just mindboggling to me that my location on the planet affects not just what I do, but what the very point of life is, the whole meaning of existence. It's crazy.

(So, on that note, maybe you should move. To Star Valley, I mean, not to Iraq.)

mudderbear said...

Ben could be right.