Tuesday, July 28, 2009

It is an evil world that would pull a suckling babe from it's mother's breast

Anyone who knows me, knows of my timid nature and my inability to assert or defend myself. Logically, again anyone who knows me and my situation, knows there is no reason I should have to defend myself. Emotionally however, I feel like I do. Perhaps it is only in the false sense of privacy on my own blog that I have the nerve to do so. And just so you know, this is in regard to several things and several people...

No one knows the tears I cried the last time I was alone in my apartment. As I stood looking at the empty bedroom, I wept for the dreams that were now stored away in a box somewhere. I cried remembering the day we moved in, the day we brought the dog home, the day we found out we were having a baby, our happy times, our future hopes. I cried for our feeling of being HOME. No one understands the pain of putting that all on hold and what we lost that day.

No one knows the tears I cried nearly everyday for nine months as I kneeled in a bathroom throwing up, sick, I think, because I wasn't eating . Or the fear I felt every time I lay alone in a sick room at work, on doctors orders, because my legs and ankles were so swollen and my blood pressure so high. How I prayed that things would be okay. That my marriage would make it through, that my baby would survive and that somehow I would have the strength to keep carrying it all.

No one knows the hurt I feel, the secret tears I cry for him, when I see my husband, day after day, shot down for jobs, told no one is hiring, even called a loser by his own father and told he will lose his wife and baby if he doesn't start doing differently. Perhaps only I can see the hurt, the broken pride, the fear he feels, and only I know that it's not a matter of won't, but can't.

No one knows the fear, the doubt, the questions of putting aside a good education and a decent job with great people to follow your faith, your inspirations, your beliefs to do what is right. To say this is the easy way or to think I am lazy, only means you haven't had to take the steps I'm taking. This is the hardest thing I've ever done and NOTHING in my life right now is easy. The only joys I have are when my baby smiles at me or when she is sleeping peacefully or when my husband holds me and tells me he loves me.

No one knows the tears I cry when my baby has colic and reflux and cries in pain, looking straight into my eyes with complete trust that I will be the one to fix it when all I can really do is look back at her and wait for the pain and fear to pass. No one knows how the stupid remarks and bad advice from people who don't know hurt me. You don't know how hard it is to breast feed if you haven't done it. You don't know the exhaustion of being up every two hours for months, of not sleeping because you have to be awake and alert to give to this other person. And then to have people come in and want to take her away, to give their advice for things they know nothing of, to make you feel like you're failing as a mother, the only thing that's ever mattered to you... it hurts like nothing you can imagine.

No one knows, when I sit alone feeding my baby, the tears I cry because I have no home. I live somewhere where I'm not even comfortable enough to take care of my baby or myself, where my husband and I are insulted and treated without respect and I just have to be thankful. I can't fix my husband dinner and I watch him go hungry and can only feed my baby because a wise God made it possible for my body to do so. Six weeks from giving birth, I weighed less than when I got pregnant, not because I'm healthy and losing the baby weight, but because I am hungry. I try not to complain, to count my blessings, obviously I'm not starving and there are people worse off than I am. But I am hungry, the kind of hungry where you get dizzy and pass out. Even so, the only reason I got food stamps is at the persistence of people trying to take care of me. My "pride" won't let me see myself as needy. I have worked my butt off for years to be self reliant, I act strong when I am not, and I certainly have paid into "the system." I have served and given when I can.

I am not the kind of person to take the easy way out. I have been taking care of myself and others since I was 12 years old. The weight of various worlds have been placed on my shoulders and if I so much as flinch under the weight, I can't tell you how many people will fall apart. No one knows the tears I've cried as I've prayed so fervently to know the right things to do. And I dare say that no one knows the tears of joy I have also felt as God has led my life, given me help when I dared not ask for it, and the tears of gratitude as I've learned the means whereby he cares for his children.

I have given up nearly everything I have. I have not been able to buy one thing for my baby as a new mother would want to do. Nothing I have is my own. Even my marriage has to be fought for now because of outside influences. To think for one minute that I'm going to also leave my baby in the hands of people I cannot and do not trust... (I had to delete those words). We are doing the best that we can and it hurts like you can't imagine that it's not enough.

To all the no ones in my life, thank you for being there. Thank you for your understanding, your support, your encouragement and your help.

5 comments:

mudderbear said...

BRAVO... This should be put on public display. BRAVO!!!!

Melanie said...

No one does know your sorrows, JoAnna. I am sorry you have had to have them!

Heather said...

I don't even know what to say... it's true, its hard and to suffer in silence... I hope things start looking up. They will.. they have too. I've got your back.

Heather said...

oh... that's me too... been messing with my profile on another blog for Steve... sorry...
Heather!

JoAnna said...

Thanks everyone.
I know this sounds like I'm really feeling sorry for myself, but, like I said, it was in response to several people. I was trying to defend myself. :)