Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Sunday's Thoughts

There is a member of our family who is very needy. Sometimes it's hard to give to her because we feel like she expects too much and/or manipulates things. But, she is a good hearted, kind person.
I've been reading the Bible and Jesus didn't say love your neighbor only if they are lovable. He didn't say give charity only if it's convenient and the other person really deserves it. In fact, he said the opposite. He said not only to love our neighbors but to love our enemy. He said when someone asks a mile, "go with them twain." Even if you're sued in a court of law (which to me sounds pretty confrontational) and someone takes your coat, give them your cloak also. (Matthew 5:38-48)

It seems to me, we do a lot of explaining and justifying of ourselves. As with my family member, we think she needs tough love or doesn't deserve our compassion because she hasn't done enough to help herself. I'm not saying we should be taken advantage of or neglect ourselves, but I am saying we need to think more about it and give more charity and act in more faith.

I think our religion is one that teaches goals, hard work and independence. In a general sense, I think our American culture is based on the idea that God helps those who help themselves. I've heard it explained as a Puritan ideal- work hard and earn your blessings to prove that you are favored of God.
But again, this is not what the Bible says.
Perhaps it's just whats on my mind lately but I am really amazed as I read how unwordly Jesus' message is. I've aways know that but as I try to apply it to my life where I'm at now? I understand why he would address us as "ye of little faith."
As we try to come terms with his teaching, we justify and explain it all away. We are told to keep the sabbath day holy, but how many of us think it's okay to get called in to work or take the shift because we have to provide for our families? I'm not judging because we do what we have to do. I'm just trying to point out that when it really comes down to it, acting on faith is harder than what we were taught in primary.
"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you."
I believe the kingdom of God is our own home and families. This of course easily extends to helping our neighbors, doing missionary work, serving in the church, even acting with integrity at our jobs. But I think that his KINGDOM is in our homes.
As a woman, to seek first the kingdom of God means I will make a home that is happy, spiritual, uplifting. I will care for and support my husband, recognizing the different roles, characteristics, and needs men and women have. I will have children and teach them all that I know and help them to have confidence and courage and to be good, honest people.
If I focus on these things, if I seek them first- as in the forefront of my mind, heart, and actions, I will need not "take thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.
For your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
If God so clothe the grass of the field... shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?"
(Matthew 6:24-34)

So, as the bills pile up and money is something we just don't have, my Puritan genes tell me I must work harder, that I'm shirking my duties and before I'm even pregnant with my first baby, I feel doomed. Healthy meals get set aside for convenience. Family prayer, dinner, even playtime for the dog get interrupted and neglected because I'm too tired. I sometimes even feel disconnected from my home and it's just a place I go after work.
But what I need to do is focus more on these things. Seek them first and have faith. Not work more for money and bills. Seek the baby first and have faith that God will provide.
Work for the kingdom of God.

4 comments:

Emily A. said...

I learned a lot about my character when I was working full time and had a brief break from my job after I got in a car accident. After my accident, I started eating better, lost weight, stopped getting headaches, and started to feel at peace with myself.

As I went back to work, I noticed that full time employment causes me to go into an auto mode where I am striving to survive rather than embracing life and feeling fulfilled. I honestly think that my identity as a woman was being damaged by working full time. I felt I was asked to put on a manly persona over and over again when I wanted to cry or be upset, but I sucked it in to be a good worker. so, I know its not the same for all women, but now that I am home, I finally feel at peace with myself and I feel like this is where I belong.

When my husband and I first got married, I was working full time, and he was unemployed. We felt it was important to start our family right away, and I ended up getting pregnant 3 weeks after starting a new job.

I was scared to death that we wouldn't make it financially, especially since I was the bread winner the whole time I was pregnant, but things ended up working out. I am now home with the baby and he has a new job with a lot of promise that can pay for our needs.

The Lord will prosper us as we strive to do what HE asks us to do and what we know is right.

I think you are right, compassion is important. I wish I had the personal confidence to be compassionate to all I meet, and especially to my selfish and immature siblings. It is a hard thing to do.

mudderbear said...

I am impressed with what you've written here and the time and thought you've put into it.
I like that the Kingdom of God should be our homes and family...this is like "well, duh1" but it also feels so good to realize that. Maybe I should center my thinking and come to know my own focus.
Mmmmph...I wish I could remember my thoughts here. It's late and I have to go, but I need to blog, so maybe I'll get some done tomorrow...inspired by you. It really is a good post.

mudderbear said...

I really love your quote from Monk. That phrase always caught my attention and I couldn't help wondering what he knows that I don't.

Emily A. said...

I miss your blog posts. Where you been lately? Hopefully on vacation! Woot!