Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Not the Power of Gray Skull

Today is a slow day at work. I should probably be making myself more useful somehow, but I'm not sure how, so I sit with my thoughts- which isn't a bad thing.
Last weekend was conference weekend. I was able to watch ALL four sessions. It was so nice. I love conference weekend. It is uplifting and reminds me of what's right and that things will be alright. The spirit there always, even when I was young, makes me feel like a woman. I am so glad to belong to a church that not only values and respects women, but actually holds them in high regard (I don't want to say higher or better but that's probably what I mean. And it's not that we're better than men, just different and I love the way I have learned to appreciate and see that difference and balance in nature...). I love thinking about families and values and introspection and, with my personality, it probably helps greatly to have those in authority solidifying my beliefs.
Today I happened on an article (I believe in Newsweek) about women in power. The title of the article was something about do women lead differently than men. It started out asking what it would be like if we have a woman president but basically ended up talking about Queen Elizabeth's reign and the new movie that is out (or coming). It tried to say that women are just as strong as men etc. That's fine and good, but it felt a bit "in your face" and admiring of qualities that in my sexist way are not feminine. It wasn't pointing out that women can be different but still as effective as men, but basically that we're capable of being just as mean. Yay.
On the page were links to other, similar articles. The next one I clicked on was an interview with two famous women, one had lost a husband, the other a father to disease. They both have a child with a handicap. They both are doing a great deal of work to further causes and invest in research of different diseases and ailments. The title of this article was "You do what you have to." A good thought.
The next article (link below) was by Maria Shriver. She talks about being raised to think that power for women means what you can put on a resume and becoming like a man. She says, as the wife of Arnold Shwarzeneggar (sorry, don't know how to spell it) and first lady of California, she learned a new definition of power. She said at first, being the first lady only meant that she was married to someone. Where was she and her credentials etc? But this role helped her to realize that small acts, not ones you'd put on a resume, are sometimes more important than the big things. She talked a bit about traditional roles of women- raising kids not to be involved in every activity but to feel loved and whole- and hinted at femininity.
I liked this. As you know, I'm rather sexist. But as I just said, I'm thankful for my understanding of the balance in nature. I'm glad that men and women are different. I feel SO much happier and calmer when I feel like I can be a woman. I want to be a wife, a mother, a teacher. I want to be feminine and pretty and nurturing and kind. I love that my husband is attracted to natural beauty and sweetness and virtue. He prefers modesty and comfort. He appreciates the little things I do and am. One of my favorite songs at church says "the errand of angels is given to women, and this is a gift that as sisters we claim." I LOVE that. I need to paint it on my wall- around my bathroom mirror. The errand of angels. How strong could we get?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21162320/site/newsweek/

No comments: