Friday, October 12, 2007

Mustard Seeds

I've always thought of myself as a faith filled person. Even as a kid I learned to pray for help not just because someone told me I could, but because I had tried it and it worked. Throughout my life, I have prayed about things big and small and felt God intervening- rescuing me, giving me strength, smoothing the way. I know I've had miracles- perhaps not big, make a saint type miracles, but big and important in my life.

When I got married, I had no doubts going into it. But afterward, somewhere down the line, it's like I woke up one day and went wow! there's a whole life ahead of us- I thought I'd thought about that, but what are we going to do!? And I realized that this faith or trust I had in this other person was going to be tested in ways I hadn't thought of. I had given everything to him, now I had to really believe in him.

The other day, as I was dreaming, I got stuck in the "yeah buts" or the putting it down on paper I discussed a few blogs back. I thought, but what do you do when... ? And the thought came to me I had to remember and believe in what I had already accomplished in my life and let that carry me through, to trust in my own resources- my own abilities as well as other people who support me.

On the way to work today I was thinking of something- I can't even remember what now, perhaps it was something big and in the future, maybe it was just something small I had to get done today- but I do remember the answer coming "oh well, you just have to trust that life works itself out."

I've never really identified faith in so many ways before. Faith in Christ brings salvation. Faith in prayers brings divine intervention. Those are big things, but that's as far as my faith went. What I realized today is that faith covers more than the big things. It is in all aspects of our lives. To have faith in people, ourselves, simply in life- that thing we're all doing but can't even pinpoint... It all comes back to faith in God, faith in a higher power. But it manifests in so many everyday little things. It's kind of like breathing. Just take a breath and trust your body to do the rest. Just live your life and enjoy the feeling of catching your breath on a stressful day, the deep breathing of a workout, the exhilarating breaths of spring flowers and falling leaves. Just keep doing it and you'll live. Isn't that amazing?

No comments: