Friday, December 26, 2008

Kinda freaks me out

I just read an article in the paper about people setting up their own genetic labs as a hobby. Some people who studied biology in college or something and now want to discover the cure for who knows what or, no joke, the article really said this, a way to make glowing tattoos. People for it say the next genius may be out there but people against it say it's really dangerous. There is no safety system in place when people are just doing this out of their garage or basement and have no advance training. I'm with the latter. It kind of freaks me out.

Another article I read this morning made it sound like more and more women are choosing at home births with a midwife nurse because of the cost of going to the hospital. Yeah, that's smart. I'll just do it at home by myself and save some money. I have heard there is a trend to home births and birthing centers because it provides a more comfortable envoironment for mom and baby. People are against drugs when giving birth because of the harm they think it does to the baby. Again, I'm with the skeptics. We've come along way so I don't have to worry so much that my baby or I am going to die of some strange disease or complication simply because we don't know any better. My grandmothers went through a lot so I don't have to!

Not even the same thing, but just as annoying to me, in the last few days visiting various family for the holidays someone actually said to me "they say if your kids hate you, you're doing a good job." What kind of advice is that!?!?!?! She doesn't even have a bad kid that needs to be kept in line or taught a lesson. But, he IS a teenager now so you know how bad and rebellious they are and you have to keep them in control. Another mother handed her son a beer and told him it's okay to drink it because he's old enough now even though his wife doesn't want him to (she said it right in front of the wife, by the way).

Everyone is complaining about the snow today. Admittedly, it was a long drive to work this morning and I'm scared to even leave because it's going to be worse going home. Even more scary is walking through my work's parking lot. It was pure ice this morning and now if I fall, I'm not the only one who will be hurt. I almost sat back in my car and cried. That said, we do live in Utah, snow is part of the deal. If we just could all slow down...

I really want to go live in a small town and be a hermit. I've never wanted to shelter my kids, thinking that does more harm than good. But, I certainly wish I could protect them from all this crap. And I want to hide... for a while anyway. People are so stupid.

2 comments:

Emily A. said...

You know what I love about your blog posts? I read what you write, and it reminds me that I am an individual and I can think and feel and be someone other than "mom" and "wife." Sometimes that line between independence and enmeshment gets too blurry and I feel like I lose my identity. Your writing really helps me feel like myself again. I regain my identity when I read what you write. Thank you!

I think its ridiculous to say that your kids are supposed to hate you. I hated my parents at times in my life, and it was not healthy for anybody. I think kids are smart enough to make their own decisions with love and guidance. If they hate you, doesn't that indicate that you are prideful?

I hated walking on ice when I was pregnant. I slipped once...its scary. Maybe you could get some ice picks and walk inside carefully. It would look silly, but you'd feel more secure. Lol.

mudderbear said...

hmm...I'm wondering who handed whom a beer!!? I think most people are stupid. You have to remember and give yourself credit for what You know, which is very likely more than most.

This may sound dumb, but at my age I am just realizing what a profoundly negative influence a certain sibling had on ;my life. I think she thinks like some of these people. We don't need negative handling...we need all the positive we can find.