Friday, October 03, 2008

More work stories

So I just signed a copy of a new policy at work regarding use of the internet, email, messenger etc. I think I just agreed that I have no expectation of privacy when using these things for personal use and that the personal use won't be excessive or get in the way of doing my job. Does this mean I'm not supposed to be blogging?
Hm, probably...
Anyway... it's been a long day and I'm done for so I can't think anymore. I think I'm also pretty well caught up for the week. So, here I am to complain and get it out so I don't take it home for the weekend.
The solicitors are required to turn their stuff in by 10:30 each day. Mostly this is to give my people time to get it inputed into our system by 2:00 deadline. The group that brings in the most on Friday didn't get here until after noon last week. I said something and the guy just kinda brushed it off like I was telling a joke. He was kind of filling in for the boss so I thought maybe I should mention to the boss that it was that late. Later I decided I should have told the guy, not "tattled" so I didn't say anything to anyone. How un-assertive of me!
Today, this guy was here as soon as I got here this morning. I couldn't even clock in on time because I was getting stuff for him. Even so, when the boss stopped by to ask something well past 11, I still didn't have any orders. I asked him what they were up to and he went on and on about the problems they were having. I said, you know I'm supposed to have them by 10:30 right? Oh, no, he thought that was only on Monday blah blah blah. I explained our process a bit and felt I was a bit assertive in saying you better be on time. Even so, it was 12:30 before I got any orders from them.
This put us so far behind. I get stressed so easily. I'm really trying to think of keeping a peaceful and serene environment inside me :) But, I can't help it. The thing is, I knew the only way we could get it done is if I really stepped up and did it. I gave each of my people 20-30 and asked my supervisor what we could do. The people around me have to "close" at the end of the month and that's what they were all doing today. Whatever it entails, they are all super busy and not available to help me today. My supervisor tried to get customer service to help but they too had reasons they couldn't. So, little old me took 90 orders and got them all done in about an hour.
It's hard to talk about work without explaining everything, which gets really boring really fast. But basically, I could get the orders started for customers and then go back later and put in all the office information that's really what takes a long time. Even without splitting it up like that, I still don't know why I can go so much faster than the other people who's job it is to do this. It frustrates me sometimes because I feel like I have to do it all. Other times, I'm more patient knowing that my poor people are just as stressed and working just as hard as I am, even if not performing with the same results. It's just tough.

2 comments:

mudderbear said...

You have a good work ethic and you intend to get it done. That makes a real differece.
It's good to hear you become more assertive. You'll find it doesn't hurt anybody and should do a lot of good for yourself.
Have a superior weekend...relax and enjoy.

Emily A. said...

Hey! More pics on your blog! Yay! Well. It sucks to be smart and fast and responsible. It means you will always work harder than anyone else around you. Its a blessing and a curse. The good news is that once you are a mother, the speed at which you do your mothering means nothing, and you will find that life just feels so much better. Ahhhh.

Hang in there! Good job being assertive!