Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Advice anyone?

Sometimes when I clean, I feel like I've done a good job, only to turn around and see a million more surfaces that should be sanitized. Sometimes, a quick job leaves me satisfied because it's better than nothing and I know if I do a little something each time, that will be as good as doing a big something only once in a while. Other times, it just doesn't feel like enough, no matter how big a job I do.
I sat on the bathroom floor the last time I cleaned and wondered how in the world one would clean the back of and underneath the toilet tank. Which brings me to under and behind the stove and fridge. How often are you supposed to clean there? And I'm really supposed to drag them out in the middle of the floor? My kitchen isn't even big enough to pull them out and leave room for me to climb behind them- let alone bend over with a dust pan or such.
I feel like I don't get the shower clean unless I use a soapy, scrubby cleanser and really get in there and scrub. Then I see these commercials for spray and it looks like they just spray it and wipe it down- like I do the counter tops. Maybe that's enough if I did it more frequently? How frequently is that?

I've been trying to be very conservative with spending money lately. I pay attention to which brands cost more/less etc. Recently, I bought less expensive body wash and lotion. Luckily, it hasn't made my sensitive skin totally freak out yay! But, my skin is dry. It usually gets dry around this time of year and that's when I buy the wonderful smelling Oil of Olay body wash to salvage my skin. And, it lasts long enough, I think the price is justified. But, as we've tried to cut our overall budget, I can't really justify even a $5 body wash, when the store brand is only $2 and will last just as long. As colder weather comes, I'm worried my skin WILL freak out.

I don't really believe in eating white bread. Sometimes, wheat bread seems just as refined, it's just brown. The kind I really like to buy that has a short list of pronounc-able ingredients and no preservatives is getting close to $5 a loaf! So much for that. It used to be worth buying, again, because it would last a long time. But also again, when trying to cut the whole budget, $5 is a large percentage of the whole bill.
That said, Jeff will only eat white bread. I've often bought just the store brand for his toast etc. But, he recently convinced me that Wonder Bread is better than the store brand. It's only $2 a loaf compared to my $5, but that's double the cost of the store brand! What to do, what to do?

Being pregnant, eating has been quite an experience lately. Sometimes I am so hungry I eat like I'm just starved right to death. Other times, even thinking of food makes me sick and it's like I have to force feed myself just to have some kind of nourishment. At times, I've been so hungry that I think I really need to eat nutrient dense food- spinach, brussel sprouts, eggs. But last week, I really felt like I'd eaten too complex of stuff for my body to be able to process it. I had a small sandwich for dinner followed by jelly filled doughnuts, feeling like my body needed quick, easily processed energy. Maybe that's not such a bad thing sometimes?
I was also wondering about kids' seemingly natural aversion to healthy food, like vegetables. I've always thought I would start my kids early on such baby food delights as strained peas and spinach so they develop a taste for it. Good point perhaps. But, the way I've felt lately, I've wondered if their "natural" aversion isn't because their poor little tummies aren't developed enough to process it.
I've learned a new thankfulness for some of our convenience foods, like Pop Tarts, that at least pretend to give me some nourishment and vitamins and are convenient and not upsetting to my tummy.
I'm also wondering if it might not be practical, for a few more weeks anyway, to not go out and buy a bunch of groceries, but to keep some cash on hand so I can get food I actually feel I can stomach. When all I have is spinach in the freezer and my body needs doughnuts, what will I do?!

2 comments:

mudderbear said...

You sound a bit loony..haha..but it looks like we will all be at the same point soon trying to figure out how much we can spend on the necessities. $5.00 IS too much to pay for bread, but a good loaf is worth at least two of the cheaper stuff if you can afford it. Eat what you feel like... I believe your body gives definite clues during this time. If you need donuts, holler. I'll be happy to bring you some....

I'm not sure many people clean behind the fridge or stove...haha...I think they just pretend to and wait to move out. And the bathroom....just good luck and don't bump your face....ugh!!

but seriously, do you want some help???

Heather said...

when it comes time to clean under the stove and the fridge, I just move.... and for the most part that's true, other than that I've found no other way than to scoot it out and it's gross... yuck. You're eating situation is so completely NORMAL! We're in the same boat, I'm trying have healthy foods for all of us but the bad stuff is so much cheaper, so I try and split it, with the economy you just can't win. Have to go to the discount bread store and get if for less there.... it's worth it. And when the twins were little, I made all of their baby food and they ate everything, (except peas) but spinach and squash, lots of stuff, it was fun and lots cheaper making it myself but now they just eat what they want anyway.... dont know if it did any good.