Monday, June 23, 2008

Someone please teach me something

I'm having a hard time trying to say what I'm thinking...
Basically, I've read a few things in the paper (admittedly I read it online and anyone can make comments so I don't know if what I'm remembering has any validity or not but that's kind of why I'm bringing it up) about the church giving the priesthood to "all worthy males." One thought is that Joseph Smith gave the priesthood to at least one black man and was against slavery and very open to other races/cultures etc. Someone said it wasn't until Brigham Young became the president that this restriction to blacks became enforced. In a way, it made sense to me that it would be more of a tradition of culture/society/an individual than an actually established rule. I know I'm not supposed to say anything "against" a prophet, but I've heard things about Brigham Young to make me think he was pretty strict... maybe even more because of his own personality and judgement than actually acting as the prophet?

Today I read that the church is sending a letter to be read in the wards in California urging members to actively oppose a new court ruling giving gays the right to marry. No wait, I think it's to promote an ammendment to the state constitution to define marriage as between one man and one woman. (I apologize for my lack of knowledge. Most of what I know is bits and pieces and I may not even have the facts right).
In a way it makes sense to me. I think that the core belief of our church is that of eternal families and everything we teach, believe, etc. supports that main idea. Whatever makes a person gay, nature dictates that to have children etc. it takes a man and a woman. It's the way it's set up, even if there are variations, mistakes, whatever. There's always the argument that not even all straight couples are able to have children and we don't deny them the right to be married. But I'll trust you know what I mean.
But in a way, it kind of seems contrary for the church to actually tell people what to believe. I mean, I'm glad to be in a church that has clear cut standards and even expectations, but I think part of what people find fault with is they think we're all just told what to do and how to think and don't make any of our own decisions.

I just deleted about the same amount as I've written above because I really am not coming to any point. Perhaps I'll leave this as a "to be continued..." post. Do any of you know any facts? What do you think? About these topics specifically? More generally about religion and social influence? About our church and it's influence? Perhaps my question is, coming from a religion of very definite beliefs and a family of strong convictions, how do I know what's true? and what I really think? and is it okay to form my own opinions, even when it seems a bit in oposition to said church or family? Well, that's kinda my same old same old question isn't it? So, I ask that, but also want to know what anyone knows or thinks about these topics. And maybe just the general right and wrong of the universe... :)

1 comment:

mudderbear said...

It's all confusing. I personally think it goes too far. I hope that someday, like Blacks getting the priesthood, there will be some resolution. It's such a MORAL issue. This is very critical to most people so I suppose we are asked to help uphold what is held to be the right thing to do. However, I will never oppose letting these people have their human rights. The gays who want the respect of marriage are not the same people as those who are promiscuous experimenters with sex. It's just not the same thing. A gay person can be just as moral with as much fidelity in their marriage as anyone who is straight. The teachers I had to be careful of were not gay, they were straight. Were they leacherous and 'dirty old men'? I would say so. Were babysitters and others who threatened my children gay? Probably not. Were they pedophiles? Very possibly. Does that matter to anyone? I don't feel like it does, but one thing...being gay did not cause any of that.
Being gay is a real bad trick of nature. It's so unfair. Why should we add to an already difficult situation with hateful segregation? It doesn't make a difference to me how others...i.e.church officials...feel about it. I have to go with my own feelings.
It's an interesting subject you've presented here. Hope I haven't talked too much. I kind of got off the subject, but it hits a nerve.