Thursday, April 24, 2008

Feng Shui

(Re: Title- Well crap (whale crap?), I can't remember how to spell it. Oh, well. You know what I mean right? Maybe that is right...)

Recently at work they moved all the people from Classified Advertising's customer service over to Circulation's customer service area. I guess eventually they will be blending the two departments. Right now, it's just made it very crowded in our area.

My little group/team, used to sit over and away from customer service. People would comment on how quiet it was in our area. Then we got moved to a more central, but still out of the way, location and some of advertising (or someone) took our spot. It's busier in this area and there is more noise. But now with all the other people here, there is an energy in the office that frankly I don't like.

At first, I thought it would be good. The dress code is casual here, but with all these people, I felt a bit more like getting dressed up just to look and feel a bit more assertive. With so much going on, I felt like I was really at work, instead of trying not to fall asleep. But, that positivity didn't last long.

There are times, like today, that I think all this energy actually makes me jittery. Not like anyone is even bothering me specifically. It's just loud and busy and hectic and I feel overwhelemed.

With these changes, we've also moved to using "community" copier/printer/fax/time travel? machine. So, I feel like everytime I print something (which I do A LOT of with all these orders I process- it's my job), I have to fight my way through the crowd. I stand in line to make copies. I sort through a billion things to find my stuff (including people's personal and credit card info!). It makes me feel like I can't get my job done. It makes it feel hectic. And I stress about the credit cards feeling like it's my responsibility to protect them (which, I guess it is).

Oh well. I'm not even really complaining. Just noticing how real the vibe and energy flow is here and how it's affecting me. I've actually felt bizarrly happy and positive this week. Don't know what that's about! :)

2 comments:

mudderbear said...

That's interesting. How are things today?

mudderbear said...

I didn't mean for that to sound so cold-hearted. I just wanted to acknowledge your blog and let you know I've been here and read it. I hope things get better for you. You should enjoy your job for some reason....the money???