Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Conference Report

Last weekend was conference weekend. What a wonderful way to start the spring! (or fall in October). I really look forward to it and feast on it.
This weekend, President Monson was sustained as the new president of the church. That was a neat thing. I feel bad saying this, but in the past I have sometimes had a hard time listening to his talks... I was trying to explain why, but I don't think it matters. Watching him this last weekend though, I could really see him stepping into this new role. He looked so humble and sweet. I felt reminded that Heavenly Father chooses who He wants and needs there.

There seemed to be a lot said, at least on Saturday, about the family and safegaurding the home. I love that word- safegaurd. We DO need to gaurd our homes from what is out there. And we need to make them safe. In my same old sexist way, I believe so much that the wife and mother has so much responsibility to do this. Not that I'm discounting the husband and father, just saying I feel a lot of responsibility and desire to be the heart of the home, to teach my children, to be the safe place to fall for my husband, the kids, even the dog.

My husband is not a member of our church. I never thought I would be married to someone who isn't, outside of the temple. It was something I lived for and hoped for all my life. Admitedly, I sometimes wonder if I've done the right thing, if this is really going to work, but I'm always reminded that I did and given hope that it will. Jeff tried to stay on his graveyard shift schedule this weekend (he often changes- just to spend time with me!). He slept through all of conference (not that he cared to listen anyway). But, since he stayed up all night playing the laptop computer and watching movies in bed while I slept, it gave me the excuse to sit in bed to watch conference. So, I sat there able to hold onto him and look at him while I listened to the words of our leaders and felt such great spiritual things.
I tried to tell him a bit of this after and he agreed that Mormon's do have incredible family values. In fact, I think that appeals to him more than anything. The problem is he's seen/been involved in too many families that are hypocritical and, what he calls, two faced, showing certain standards outwardly but not when no one is watching. Sigh... at least the family values give us common ground. And, I digress. My point was just that, in some way, he was with me and that made things even better.

It's always been hard for me to be so uplifted and inspired over conference weekend and then return to life and work or school on Monday. This week has been especially rough. I felt so in touch with spiritual things. So determined to better myself and live the right way and be happy. So, I thought I'd just take a minute to try to remind myself of the good things that came of last weekend. Maybe I can get hold of them again and try again tomorrow.

1 comment:

mudderbear said...

Conference Weekend was wonderful and uplifting. I agree with everything you said. Pres. Monson is loveable and sweet. He is also strong and a bit more stern than what we're used to. I suppose it's just what we all need right now. We must 'come to arms' with more determination and intent, especially in defending our families against those things that can deteriorate it so quickly. Our family is blessed with good strong spiritual children. Things are getting better everyday...so we must surely safegaurd it. We have excellent resources in each other. I'm thankful for you and Jeff. You are so good for all of us. We all love you.