Thursday, November 06, 2008

My Political Spin

Tuesday night, I told Jeff I didn't think it would be that "weird" to have a black president. He agreed. I suppose this shows our naivety. I think Utah is supposed to be known as such a white Mormon state, so it's not really like I know much about racial issues etc. But we both went to schools that were considered more diverse. Seeing interracial couples was not a big deal and it just doesn't seem to us that people of our generation really are even aware of prejudice and racism. I think this is a good thing; people are people, not a color, culture, or race.
I didn't see much t.v. Tuesday night to know what was going on with the election. Jeff had it on a bit and I listened from the other room and it sounded like Obama was ahead, but still close. Wednesday morning I listened to the radio on the way to work to find out what had happened. When they talked about Obama winning and that it was a historical thing being the first African American president, I admit I got more than choked up. It is a NEAT thing. It IS a big deal. I felt rather proud that our country would see men and not a color. I sensed somewhat that there is a whole group of people out there that have faced racism and prejudice, simply because of a color. I felt hope that we have come or are going past this. I felt a sense of relief, as if those things could maybe be put behind us or healed somehow.
Someone at work mentioned that there is probably a need to be concerned about an assassination threat because of some of the radical groups that are out there that have already voiced certain opinions. I hadn't even thought of that. I have heard that people are afraid of Obama's Muslim ties or that he's a terrorist. Again, it must be my naivety, but I can't even wrap my head around such things.
Today I read an article about a high school in Florida that people were trying to change the name of. It is named for a Confederate general who is also believed to be the first Grand Wizard of the KKK. It was originally started as an all white school but now over half the students are black. The school board voted to keep the name. People opposed to changing it just didn't see it as necessary. One person argued that we shouldn't hide or change history and the man was a general who played a big role. I almost bought that argument except for the KKK ties. How would it feel to be part of a group that was so targeted and then have people just not care that that is thrown in your face? And that probably puts it nicely.

On a less serious note, there was a very nice picture on the front page of Wednesday's Tribune of the Obama family. I don't think any words showed on that half of the paper, so that when it was displayed in the racks, you would only see the picture. I think Mrs. Obama and their daughters are very beautiful (darn my superficial-ness again!). Their daughters are quite young. I wondered what it's like for them to know their dad is the president and they are going to live in the White House. The older daughter looks old enough to have some understanding but still young enough to get caught up in the excitement of "yay! daddy, you won!" I wondered if it's weird for them. Then I wondered what their life has been like up to now. Have they always been political? Do they go to schools and family parties and associate with other kids who have parents in government? Like celebrities who may not even realize they are famous because that's just the way life is? What a different world.

1 comment:

mudderbear said...

tHIS IS SUCH A SWEET OBSERVATION.
It is great that you are unbiased and so accepting. I don't know what differenct it makes - male/female, black/white, mormon/nonmormon...

It was a great day!! An amazing day. Both McCain and Obama were elegant and sincere. It was great.
Seeing the crowds in Chicago who were there for Obama was awesome... Let's be glad for these miracles.