Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Dust in the Wind

Jeff has a favorite t.v. show on DVD we've been watching. It's a good story, but mostly I like the characters and how they interact. The leading lady is an artist and they own an antique store. She is refined and pretty and in a few episodes someone says something about her expensive clothes (which I point out to say that she dresses stylishly, but also modestly and conservatively). She is polite and polished but in no way arrogant or cold. She is sweet and smiles a lot and very warm. I would guess she's in her late thirties, maybe even into her forties.
Monday, I was thinking of this character all day and decided to make her a hero/role model. There aren't many of those out there (although I love the show Friends and find the characters charming, there is something lacking there- a lot of loose morals and such. What else do we have? ... I never watch Sex and the City or Desparate Housewives, but in magazines and such, those characters seem be touted as something wonderful).

When I got home from work Monday, I had a fashion magazine in the mail. My sister somehow got a free subscription and gave it to me. It's a lot of fun. I realized one day that when I go to the store in need of new face cleanser or make-up, I don't know what to look for because I don't read magazines much anymore! And, I am a girl and I do enjoy pretty shoes and such. Sadly, as I looked through the magazine, this lack of role models seemed so LOUD (that's a good word for it right?). I have been surprised lately how young models look in catalogs and magazines. I must be getting old, but I really don't think my reaction is one of feeling old and unattractive. I'm just shocked that as a society, we really do sexualize youth and we tell ourselves this is what a man wants and, therefore, what a woman wants to be. I think one thing I like about the character in the show is that she is a woman. She is a grown up. She's not sleeping around, dressing funky and experiencing an identity crises or having to assert herself. She simply IS and that is such an attractive thing!

Well, Monday night we watched another episode of the show. And guess what!? SHE DIED! I suppose I can see the need for it to happen for the story etc. But, I was so sad I couldn't stand it. I was sad because I was caught up in the story and the characters and I cried (I SO rarely cry at movies and t.v. shows). It was really emotional. But I was also so sad because I felt like "see, there is no room for that in the world." My hero died because society doesn't want people like that. Where does that leave me?

(P.S. This is not as hopeless as I'm leaving it. It's more of a "fine world. Just wait! I am so wonderful, it will take your breath away and I'm going to show that... or, you may not even notice because you are too dumb, but I'll know.)

2 comments:

mudderbear said...

Ah, do you remember writing blogs about this sort of thing about a year ago? It's still a problem for those of us who need or would like a healthy role model. Maybe that is your job...to be one. Feels like a blog coming on.

P.S. You make a really good role model.

JoAnna said...

I'd like to think I could be the role model. It helps when I feel so out of place to think that maybe it's because I have something different to offer. Hm?
And yes, I do remember blogs past. It makes me feel frustrated that I'm no farther ahead but it's good that it keeps coming around and reminding me/us of who we need to be. Right?