Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Smell of Soap

Yesterday I smelled a scent that reminded me of my grandmother Dorothy. It was a fresh, soapy smell, but a bit softer, almost powdery- very clean with just a touch of femininity about it. I hoped it was my own soap.

Because of the things on my mind at the time, I started thinking of what a brave woman she was. She married a widower who died not too long after they were married and raised his son as well as their two all on her own. I wondered how she had made the decisions she had- to be the second wife, to be the step mom, when and if to go to the temple, how to raise her boys.

I kind of felt like I was suddenly aware of the sacrifices she had made, that maybe life didn't give her things the way she wanted them, the way we all seem to hope for them (I don't actually know how she felt about any of it). Sometimes we think that life is all about choices, but sometimes, maybe, it's about dealing with what you were given. And she suddenly seemed very brave and I wished I knew her better.

2 comments:

mudderbear said...

This is so nice. I think I'll blog about it myself. You're right...life hands you a package and you go from there. Most of us have entirely different lives from what we thought we would have.

mudderbear said...

P>S> Maybe your grandma is sending you a message. Remember what we said about scents? It's highly possible she wants you to know something. Awesome, huh?