Friday, April 13, 2007

Beauty

http://lifestyle.msn.com/MindBodyandSoul/WomenintheWorld/StaticSlideshowMC.aspx?cp-documentid=859038&imageindex=1

"I had the legs of a person who lifts and goes to the gym, but I’m beyond that now—they’re bigger than ever, and they’re the source of my strength."

"I hated my belly then! Society has told women to control their bodies, but in the classes I teach, I retrain my students to let go. I’ve been dancing professionally for three years now. When I dance, I don’t focus on my shape, but on how it pleases others."

"The fingers on my left hand are disgusting: The skin is dead, so they’re very thick and padded. When I touch them, I don’t feel a thing. On my right hand, my second and third fingers look glued together... When I play, I can’t help but be proud of my fast fingers and trained hands."

"But I’ve made so many sacrifices to be this fit."

"My position wasn’t handed to me; I worked for it. When I look at my body, I see years of training."

"My feet swell, and my blisters bleed. I used to wear closed-toe shoes and not let anyone see my feet. I have a lot of friends who aren’t dancers, and they can’t get over what mine look like. But as I got older, I accepted them: This is what I do. "


These women aren't beauty queens. They are not what many of us "aspire" to. But they are who they are and they love themselves because of it. Hm...

1 comment:

mudderbear said...

This is very interesting. Where did you get it?