Monday, June 14, 2010

Day of Rest


When I asked my sister in law if her kids were as clingy as mine, she looked at me like I was silly. "Don't you remember?" she asked. "But then one day, you'll leave and when you come back they won't even care... and then you'll know you've done a good job."

Jeff's birthday was Sunday so we planned an outing for the weekend. We were just going to go to a movie and leave Rayne with her Grandma and Great Grandma. Because she's been SO clingy lately, we later decided just a lunch date would be better. We went to his Grandma's, where we still have stuff, including her crib (fyi, we brought the crib home and she slept by herself!) and hung out for a bit. She was happy to play alone but when I went to leave, feeling like I gave her no clue whatsoever, she started to cry. We decided to go for a walk and I took her out to her stroller, kissed her and told her to have fun with her grandmas. Jeff and I left.

It was so strange to be without the baby. We went to the Olive Garden. It was the fanciest date he and I had ever been on. We were a bit surprised by the prices but tried to just enjoy ourselves; I even had a real Coke. I ate TONS of salad. He ate lots of breadsticks. And our pasta was to die for!
After lunch, we went to a game store to look but not buy anything. Then we went back to grandma's.

We walked in the front door and stood there, waiting for Rayne to notice. She was playing by the couch with magnet letters. She finally looked up and saw us, seemed a bit surprised, then turned back to her grandma and continued playing. I was VERY happy. She was FINE!
Eventually, she got a bit clingy and snuggly with me and that was fun too.

This is the first time Jeff and I have gone out alone since last August. I feel sad to admit that it was nice to have a day to ourselves. I missed Rayne the whole time, but it was like I needed a break. Is that bad to say? I was so much better to handle her crying and not willing to sleep in her bed that night. And, eventually she settled and did sleep in her bed (not sure if it's because we got her crib- which she seemed very happy to play in, or because I was patient and nice when she was having a hard time instead of the flustered and not knowing what to do I was getting to the last few nights).

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Congrats! I am so excited for you! Sounds like a fun date! And never feel guilty. You need your sanity! Love you!

mudderbear said...

This is such good news...breathe a sigh of relief. And the new photo is lots of fun too. It shows up on my sidebar at mudderbear's.

Emily A. said...

In your previous post you wrote about your quest for "normal." Well its completely normal to need a break from your child, and its completely normal to be worried about it too.

You are awesome. You are beautiful inside and out and its wonderful that you are you. I wish I was in Utah to tell that to your face so you could see my sincerity. I really believe it.