Thursday, March 19, 2009

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

I am easily offended by people who give unsolicited advice and opinions. Such people usually have an air of superiority and are not talking to have a discussion but talking to hear themselves and be the boss. Even though I know I'm not, I often am left feeling stupid and inferior or at least like that's how these people see me.
Being a people pleaser/peace maker, sometimes it's my fault that people see or treat me this way. Often, I talk down about myself or act inferior because I don't want to make the other person feel bad or inferior or it's just easier than insisting on the fact that I'm right and they don't know what they are talking about.
Last night I decided it's time to start acting with a bit more self respect. Maybe if I treated myself like I'm "better than that" and acknowledge in myself that I'm smart and capable, it will come across, not in a superior way, but at least in a way that people won't talk down to me and try to control or boss certain parts of my life. It's helped already today just to have that thought in mind.
What's the saying? "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, doggonit, people like me."

3 comments:

mudderbear said...

I'm really proud of you. You are coming along nicely.
My vistiting teachers came by today and we talked quite a lot about these kinds of things. It's okay to stand up for yourself and your family, your baby. In fact you are obligated to do this. It's your assignment in life. You are fighting your own battle. Don't be afraid and fight to win.

Melanie said...

Good for you!

Emily A. said...

WOW! You quoted Stuart Smalley! I loved that skit on SNL with Michael Jordan.

You go get em' girl!!!