Wednesday, January 30, 2008

When to abandon a sinking ship

Life is hard. Sometimes it's yucky and just not fun. Sometimes it hurts and you have to do it anyway. It's scary and sad and sometimes you just want to run and hide in a hole and not come out for days. I was going to say you have to eat your vegetables, whether you like them or not, but Heather said it better about brocolli. Sometimes I wonder if I've ever had to keep going and not quit. If I'm a strong person who does what has to be done, or if I give up too easily?


On the other hand...


I've seen people hold on just because, in spite of the lack of fulfillment, it's just easier or more comfortable than letting go. People stay in relationships, even marry, when they aren't really in love, but it's safe. How many people do you know who go to work and hate their jobs? I often feel like we keep going in life because someone else said this is how it is and we're all just stuck with it (think about going shopping even. As mudder says, you're kinda stuck just taking what someone else is selling). To these things I say let's get brave! Let's stand up and start a revolution and do what really matters, what is satisfying, what is right and good, and be brave enough to fly, even when the height or letting go of the ground is scary.


So how do you know when you need to just toughen up and bite the bullet and all that? Or if you need to just save yourself and not go down with a sinking ship?


I was talking to Jeff this morning about some of this kind of stuff. He's so good for me. I really value the way he looks at things and life. As I drove to work, I had all this going through my head. I thought that maybe the trick is to just really know what you value and stick to it. That's not as easy as it sounds I guess- like I say, even shopping seems to dictate to you what you want, need, can have etc. But maybe, if we had the few important things in the forefront of our lives, then all the have to's would fall in to place and all the stuff we hold onto without reason, would fall out.

2 comments:

mudderbear said...

Are you kidding???When have you ever had to just stick with things and tough it out??? When haven't you????

Hang in there. You're doing great. I wonder if you are suffering from the winter blahs. Maybe you need a distraction....how about crochet? It's working for me. Good luck.. I know you're having a hard time. Think of your pioneer forefathers walking across the plains. It was tough for them too. Maybe that will give you strength. And you know everything got better for them. It will get better for you too. I don't think your ship is sinking...it's just very rocky right now.

Heather said...

I think we're all in that same stupid boat... and I'm getting quite tired of the turbulance myself. I say we take up skydiving... get out of the water for awhile.