Thursday, January 24, 2008

My Advice

For some reason, I was thinking about age on my way to work this morning. I honestly couldn't remember how old I was. When I thought I knew, I couldn't remember if that was what I just turned or if that's what I will be on my next birthday. Then I couldn't remember how old my husband is. Finally I stopped thinking about it because it really doesn't matter and I didn't have a reason to care. My conclusion was that age is a matter of happiness.

I have a friend or two that grew up so fast, made some not so smart decisions and then, when faced with a 30th birthday insisted, because isn't that funny?, that we are getting so old. Frankly, the friend I'm thinking of, does look old. It's like she lived half her life by the time she was 25 and now has years just to age... And I'm not really being critical of her choices, we all do dumb things and you really never know what you would do in a situation until it's there. I just don't think she's ever really been happy. I think that is what aged her. On the other hand, I know someone who married and had the kids young, what they always tell us will age us, but she seems happy. She's young and has lots of energy etc etc etc.

It's just a thought and I don't know what it really matters.

There is an advice column I like to read when I happen upon it called Ask Prudence. I think her advice is usually quite sound and even the questions being asked are a little more thought provoking than articles I've read in magazines and such. Today I read some of it and the answers weren't as strong as I had hoped they would be. Perhaps I wanted her to tell them they were wrong or take a different stand on a few issues. But it made me wonder, who gets to write advice columns? It's always some doctor or expert, but even then, what makes them right? Why can't I be an advice columnist?

I've had this thought before. Maybe if I wrote the book, the magazine, the article, then I could take my own opinion more seriously or as having more authority. Shouldn't I be the one that's right in my own life more often than not?

2 comments:

mudderbear said...

I really wish you could get some idea of just how amazing you are. You've got it about the age thing. And after all, we live life one day at a time. There really is just this minute.

Your advice is always appreciated and respected. It would be nice if more people could hear from you.

Heather said...

you've been tagged, go to my blog for instructions