Thursday, August 02, 2007

Dog

Jeff and I have decided to adopt a dog. His dad's family has this big old dog that is so sweet. She is a basset hound/begal mix. Her head and body are the size of a good medium sized dog- she is very wide and heavy. But she has short little stocky legs that make it hard for her to even go up the stairs or jump on the couch. Jeff says they call this mix a Bagel (or maybe he just made that up). Everytime we are there, she just wants to be by Jeff. She lays her head on his leg and just wants to be there. His dad has decided to get a couple big dogs (I don't remember what kind) that they will try to breed and sell for a thousand dollars a pup. They aren't supposed to have more than three dogs and they already have two, so the brown dog has been offered to us.

When Jeff asked if I wanted her, my first reaction was "if you clean up the mess" but the truth was, I was excited. I really like that dog. And the more I thought about it, the more excited I got about having her. Even when I woke up at six this morning and thought about taking the dog out in my pajamas, I still want her.

So, today after work, I'm stopping at Jeff's dad's house to pick up the dog.

Today I wrote an email to my mom, just checking in. I wanted to tell her about the dog. But, everytime I started to type it, I felt hesitant. I felt stupid. The parental voice in my head said why would you want to do that? And I worry about the mess and the expense.
Not to bore people again, but this is how my mind works and I'm tired of it.
____________________________________________________________________
I wrote that yesterday. We took the dog home last night. She is very well behaved and slept on the bed with me the whole night.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Congrats, Mommy! Does the dog have a name?

mudderbear said...

SOMETIMES YOU NEED A DOG. AND SINCE I HAVE MET YOURS ALREADY, I WILL SAY SHE IS CUTE AND LOOKS LOVEABLE. ENJOY....

unbroken said...

good job! screw the expense and all that. i think it's great, and why wouldn't you want to call and tell your mom? totally natural, dont' think it isn't!
i love bagels, and begals and bassets, i always seem to clump blood hound dogs in that group too. i don't know why, i think its because of the movie 'the fox and the hound'.