Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Checking In

Last Friday my step-mother in law called me. She works at a private Christian school and they are looking for a new teacher for a 3rd/4th grade class and I was the first one she thought of. It was one of those things that come into your life and seems like the perfect opportunity is just handed to you...
Well, maybe it's perfect, but maybe it's not once you look closer. I don't know how I feel about teaching 8 and 9 year olds. I mean, it would be fun, but I'm not naive enough to not see the challenges in it. I have no background (except at church) in preparing lessons for them, knowing how they learn and think etc. And the other thing that is a big hesitation is it would be a big cut in pay; I try not to work for the money, but right now, it is something I have to consider.
I was supposed to call the principal yesterday. I had such a busy day I took 15 minutes for lunch and went to the bathroom once. I was here for over 8 hours. When I did think about calling him, I got that big dropping feeling in my stomach. Maybe it was fear, maybe it was being too busy. I put it off. Today I thought I would call him and at least learn more about it before trying to make up my mind, but again I got that feeling. I've tried in the past to listen to that feeling you have when you're first waking up and you think about a question that's been on your mind. That too has told me no. I think I've learned in my life to listen to that, so today I kind of let go of thinking I would do anything to pursue this.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Last weekend we bought Jeff a new used car. Crazy considering our finances, but we got a really good price with reasonable payments. It's pretty. It's a Saturn SC2- it's a sporty little car (his mom says he looks too big in it) and it's black. We've been very excited.

We also went four wheeling out by his mom's house in Lake Point over the weekend. It's one of those things I feel like I'm supposed to be too scared to do or not supposed to because it's dangerous. But it was SO fun. I really felt like we'd done something for the weekend and it was relaxing and exhilarating at the same time. He led and I followed- my face got so black with dirt it was embarrassing. I learned to not follow so closely. A couple times I had to stop because the dust got so bad, I couldn't see the path and was afraid I'd drive off into a fence or ditch.

1 comment:

mudderbear said...

I think you handled that job situation just perfectly. Not every offer is a perfect one.

Congratulations on Jeff's new car. It sounds perfect. Enjoy life...that's what it's here for.