Saturday, August 07, 2010

Pina Coloda Song (this was written with the baby screaming in the background :)

I don't know when I first heard the Pina Colada song but I've always liked it. In high school and even into college, I would sometimes wake up with that song in my head and then later hear it somewhere (I thought it was old when I was a kid?). I loved the ideas of just the simple things we enjoy in life, like getting caught in the rain. But somewhere along the way, I heard that song one day and knowing what infidelity does to people, that song just wasn't the same. Both characters were looking elsewhere, looking to cheat right?

The other night as my thoughts went from one thing to the next, that song again popped in my head (I haven't heard it in forever) and I realized that the idea of taking out my own personal column and being tired of his lady were just a way of describing things. What the song is really about is that no matter how tired or frustrated or wanting to just find a dooms of a cave (I don't know if that's even the real words, just what I always heard and imagined some secluded cave on a deserted beach :), I'm really looking to find that all in the one I've already found. I'm looking to again share those simple pleasures with the one I love, not run away from him or find someone else. And that, I think, is the point of the song.

3 comments:

Benjamin said...

Interesting take on the song. I'm fairly certain I know what lyric you're thinking of, and no, it's not "dooms of a cave." But I won't tell you the real words in case you'd rather just keep it as you think of it!

Emily A. said...

:D
I have nothing intelligent to say. I just like reading what you write.

Wait..I guess thats an intelligent thing to say..lol...

mudderbear said...

I am impressed with your insight and I think you are right. You need to continue to discover good things in life.