Monday, May 18, 2009

To anyone who will sympathize with irrational thoughts

The baby had a rough day yesterday. Breastfeeding is hard. We get better at it, then have a rough time again. She cried a lot yesterday and we just kept trying and spent time trying to be calm.
When it was time for dinner, I could hear the upstairs t.v. in our room, which means it was up loud. Then Jeff opened our door to take some stuff up there and it was REALLY loud. That's not going to be good, I thought. I had just calmed the baby down and figured if I get upstairs and she starts screaming, people will either have to put up with it or it will be a good excuse to come back down and hide. So I got upstairs and she was okay but then I tried to put her in a little bouncy seat. This of course upset her. I tried to calm her with her binki and talking to her and they turned the t.v. up even louder!!! to hear over her. Thanks, that's going to help. I know babies are supposedly "used to noise" but I think it was different in the womb than all these new sensations.
When she didn't calm down, I took her out and went in the kitchen where we were at least away from people and rocked her and calmed her down. Then I went and sat in the living room and held her while I tried to eat.
So then "grandma and grandpa" want to hold her. I suppose I am a bit possessive but I get really nervous when other people have her. Not all people, just some. Some people can hold her all day long and I'm okay. I haven't had her upstairs much and have even told people no when they've wanted her because I had just calmed her or something. I thought I should "be nice" and give them a chance. Plus I knew she'd need to eat soon so if I could just go to the bathroom it would be good.
As soon as they took her, a stupid little chihuahua about jumped in her face and started barking and scared her half to death. I was so upset I wanted to cry. As dumb as it sounds, I had to just sit there trying to breathe, trying to "be nice" and give them a chance with the baby. It was freaking me out.
Sunday night is mine and Jeff's dish night. Everybody has a turn. So once we finished eating, I made him go start dishes while we had a spare second. I hated even being in a different room than the baby, especially if people were no more aware and concerned about the stupid dogs than that. I keep doing things, like dishes, because I feel good enough but then by the time I'm through, I'm pretty sore- like just from bending to put stuff in the dishwasher.
Then Jeff's dad came in the kitchen to see what we were doing. You wanna know what he said to me? He said, I know she's used to her mama and she calms down better for you than anyone else, but it would probably be good for her to get used to other people.
I simply said "why? I'm not going anywhere."
What I really wanted to say was "Look you stupid over bearing people. She's not even 2 weeks old yet. WE are still getting used to each other! I defy any of you to be sick everyday for 9 months, have aches and pains and weird things going on in your body that you can't even imagine, worry and pray everyday that the baby will even live and that your body is strong enough to support her life and THEN go through labor and contractions, which you can't even imagine or describe how they feel, push a baby out, bleed and leak and have absolutely NO privacy or dignity left (all while your poor husband is standing there watching), not to mention stitches in unmentionable places, be more exhausted than you've ever been in your life and quit sleeping, try breast feeding which is not an easy, nurturing, natural thing to do at all!, fall in love harder than you've ever been both with your baby and your spouse AND THEN WHAT??? Just walk away? So that she can "get used to" other people??? What do you think SHE'S been through in these 10 days? New sensations, new muscles, new everything!!! She needs some peace. She needs some comfort. So STAY AWAY FROM MY BABY you psycho, greedy, unhelpful people!"
Of course people offer to hold the baby, like you need help with that. Okay, sometimes I DO have to go the bathroom, but really what I need help with is things like taking out the garbage, doing the dishes, cleaning my room, doing laundry. Does anyone think of that? NO! And fine, I don't want them in my space anyway, but that means I don't want them in MY SPACE.

Aren't I ornery?

5 comments:

Heather said...

You go sister... I knew it was in there!

Emily A. said...

I feel the same as Heather. I'm thinking, "yah the tiger mommy is finally here!!! Wahhoo!!! Its about time!"

First off, I never mentioned to you the breast feeding thing because I didn't want to scare you and not all women have problems, but I sure did! I will write you an email about it.

And...good for you for listening to your mommy instincts and speaking your mind. That baby doesn't need to get used to other people! She needs her mommy, and thats IT.

Trust yourself and don't doubt. You know what is best. And start bossing people around. It will feel good when you get rest like you need and can just focus on the baby.

You go girl!!!

Emily A. said...

P.s. the title of your blog says "to anyone who will sympathize with irrational thoughts"....

They aren't irrational thoughts!!! You are the most rational person in that household. You deserve respect, reverence, and adoration for what you have been through and what you are dealing with right now. You are more rational now than ever before.

Melanie said...

You know what, JoAnna? It ticks me off that people aren't helping you. That you are supposed to go on with life as normal-like you didn't just give birth two weeks ago! I know it's hard, but try to STOP DOING ANYTHING BUT TAKING CARE OF RAYNE AND YOUR BASIC NEEDS! Sunday night is Jeff's dish night now-not Jeff's and JoAnna's! Laundry is not your responsibility now. If you refuse to do it, someone will eventually have to do it. If you do it, they will not know/remember that what you have been through and are going through is hard! They will think you will continue to do everything! And good for you for telling Jeff's dad that you aren't going anywhere! GOOD FOR YOU! Love you! So sorry it's hard! Wish I could be there to help!

JoAnna said...

Thank you all for your comments and being on my side. I really do feel like a jerk when I complain. But, thanks also for noting the "sarcasm" in saying I have irrational thoughts. I don't think I actually think they are. I feel a bit justified. I need to remember to slow down. It was really good seeing you Mel and hearing what you have to say. You are so wise. You all are. I'm glad to have such great sisters (including you Emily).