Thursday, November 15, 2007

My Jeffrey

Jeff and I use Blockbuster online. For a monthly fee we can put movies on a list and we are sent, in the mail, up to three at a time. We can keep them as long as we want then return them by mail or take them to the store and exchange them for new movies at no addtional cost. For us, it is worth the payment.
Through this, Jeff has "rented" the first season of the t.v. show Heroes. One of my favorite characters is a Japanese guy named (coincidentally?) Hiro. He has the ability to bend time and space if he concentrates hard enough. He closes his eyes, scrunches up his face and thinks until his face quivers and shakes. He has a sweet, round, baby face and glasses. Most of Hiro and his friend Ando's conversations are in Japanese and subtitled. He speaks fast, loud, and high. He is adorably cute. As Kiki would say, "don't you just want to feed him cookies?"

For some reason, perhaps because of a recent date I saw of Kiki's, I was thinking about dating Hiro. (So glad I'm married and don't really have to think of dating anyone!). As cute as he is, even for people like me who want the sweet type and claim to like nerds, or at least not the stereo typical good looking guy, I wonder how many girls would think of Hiro as their dream guy, even if he could be perfectly wonderful for the right girl. I probably was also thinking of this because a high school friend of mine who married young, after having a baby, and has had all kinds of marital and child trouble is talking about getting remarried. Even when we were 12 or 14, she had a list of what a guy had to be/do in order for her to date him. I wonder if her list has changed much (kid you not, one thing she INSISTED on was the guy be strong enough to pick her up. This was something she could not live without!).

My husband is so wonderfully perfect for me in so many ways. There are things about him that complete me that I wouldn't know to choose or put on my "list" because I wouldn't know what they would do for me until I've experienced them. I know there are things about my husband that if someone described him to me, I'd say, yeah, that's my type. But, I think there are probably other things that I now appreciate so much about him that I would either not know to care about or maybe even be something that would make me say, nah, not my type. And yet, here he is. So perfect.

Jeff is adorably cute. He has a sweet face and pretty eyes and an incredible smile. I love it when his hair gets long and floppy on top. On our first date, he let me feel his soft, smooth hair. I know adorably cute is supposedly not something a "real man" wants to be described as. He is also strong looking. His sweet face is solid and broad. His shoulders are broad and there is nothing like the safety and warmth I feel snuggling into his chest. I've always loved his back/shoulders for their strength. I'm not even scared (too much anyway) when he picks me up and spins me around and throws me on the bed to tickle me. Today he even picked me up upside down- I usually hate that feeling, but I trust him that much (significant for a person afraid of heights and lacking balance).
Jeff believes in being comfortable. He says that when you're comfortable enough to be yourself, your natural beauty comes through and he likes that. I thought I did too so I'm surprised how much he's helped me learn to appreciate it and come to see it better in myself and other people.
Jeff is young and playful. He keeps me from taking things too seriously. Sometimes, I have a hard time with this. Can't you help me be responsible? But, more important, he helps me not be so serious about myself.
Jeff has a mature soul. The things he has seen and experienced in his life give him insight that I don't see in many, if any, people. He can talk to me about things and understand me and he even tells me, when I get chatty, that it's nice to hear me talk- I'm usually a quiet person. He lets me cry and he helps me feel better. He has been so good about taking care of my emotions. Sometimes, when he tells me his secrets and things about him no one else knows or understands, I know that he is a special soul. I believe that there is something, in a spiritual way, important about who he is. When I watched the Star Wars movie where Annakin goes to the dark side, it made me think a lot about Jeff. There is a battle for him and he knows it's harder to be a Jedi, but he is my Jedi hero.
There have been things that maybe aren't a big deal but they bother me and I worry about them and when I finally have worked up the courage to tell Jeff I don't want them in our life, he has been so good about saying "okay." I hesitate to ask him, never wanting to "make" him do or not do anything. But, when I have told him how I feel, he supports me by going along with what's important to me.
Jeff is not a member of my church. I never thought I would marry someone outside of my faith. I have always felt so strongly that temples and forever are a reality. I have reasons to believe that Jeff is right for me, even that God gave us to each other and said this is good. Admittedly, I sometimes worry about the church thing and if I made the right choice, but when I ask Heavenly Father about it, there is always a very positive answer that comes. This is where I belong. And somehow, even this, is something that completes me. I don't know how to explain it. Even in this way, Jeff makes me a stronger, better person. I think we will be great parents because our kids will learn about so many different things- philosophies and religions, art, science, culture, music, poetry. I think it's important to have this broad and open view of the world.
Jeff is my everything. I am a better, happier person because I have him. Sometimes I hold him or just touch him or look at him and I am overwhelmed that I have someone so wonderful as a part of me.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Awwww.... So sweet! You should have Jeff read this! Love ya!

mudderbear said...

This is so sweet. What a tribute. I think you two have something wonderful that not everyone has and you, my girl, are just as wonderful as he is.