Wednesday, July 11, 2007

It's a rich man's world?

There's a girl at work that's around my age- a couple years younger, I think. She is quitting in August because she is getting married and moving to Cyprus (it's in the Middle East area somewhere?) and going to travel around Europe. She is very pretty and very smart and very nice and very professional. Some people in my area were talking yesterday because they've posted her job, looking for a replacement, and it gives the starting salary at $60,000. Apparently, this girl isn't making that much; they will be adding responsibilities to the position after she's gone. Still, word is, she makes about $40,000 and has an MBA.

This got the people around me talking about different people and how much they make, from the customer service people to the higher ups. I really don't think of myself as a wordly person, but it gets me thinking (I have been anyway) that I should be doing more with my education and making more money. I think I'm a smart person. I think I could be capable of taking on a lot. But at the same time, I don't think I'd want the stress. The girl who's getting married has to take care of A LOT of stuff around here. I don't know, even if I had the brain and experience, that I'd WANT to do that. And yet, I don't like feeling like I'm wasting my time, my talents, my education. I don't like that we only make enough to pay the bills and MAYBE, if we're careful, we can order a pizza once a payday. I feel like I've worked too hard to get here to be living like that.

So... what do you do? How do you find that balance in life? How do you define success and happiness? And then, once you have defined it for yourself, how do you get it? I really, honestly, truly, sometimes think I would like to move to Wyoming and be a llama farmer (maybe Wyoming is too cold for them) or go to Alaska and raise sled dogs. But in reality, I have no clue about those things and it will probably never happen. But how do you find your own equivalent? How do I find what I do know, what I can do? Hmm...

2 comments:

mudderbear said...

ARE YOU THINKING OF APPLYING FOR THE JOB.? I THINK YOU JUST HAVE TO CONSIDER THE STRESS LEVEL AND WHETHER OR NOT YOU WANT TO LIVE WITH THAT. YOU MIGHT WORK 2-3 YEARS AND GET YOURSELF OUT OF DEBT..if that ever really happens..

ALSO, WHAT SOME SEE AS STRESS IS A STIMULATING CHALLENGE FOR OTHERS. YOU ARE NOT MUCH LIKE ALL THE OTHERS. KEEP THAT IN MIND.

unbroken said...

hey. i look at it this way. i work to live, i don't live to work. you have to at least be able to stand what you do. i have had friends that don't move up specifically to avoid the added bs. however without it the pay is never going to be overly great and well below what it could be. thats what part of that increase is for is the added responsibility. to me, you have to look at many factors. like buying a house. what you have to have. what you can live without. and then look at the position and see if it has what you want (pay or a fire place) and then what you can live with (not working weekends or can do the car port but cant just be a driveway) i'm sure this isn't helping but you know what i mean.
you they say the difference between those who do and those who do is those who do did and those who don't didn't. i love that. clear as mud. anyway.. if you want to raise sled dogs in alaska, you start learning about it. you go on the net, pick up books, find out what area, how much you need to get there or buy the land and then you go do it. i would think that is frickin awesome.
if you want to change jobs completely, i have a bunch of search things for like monster etc... it takes a little time but once they start kicking in they will. they're just slow. but if you do then post your resume and all that. you'll get the stupid ones but you'll get really good ones too and i can help you figure it all out if you want. then you just sit back and wait. and if something comes along that you want then you say okay.
koast the wave. every once in a while someone gets eaten by a shark, sad but true, but you can't quit surfing because of someone else. i'm beat up, but i'm still in the water.... turn the tide.