Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Perfection

One of the worst questions someone can ask, especially on a date, is "what do you like to do in your free time?" Which is really quite silly because there is so much I like to do I barely have time for anyone but myself. So why does my mind go completely blank when someone pops the question?

I think it's because I seek perfection. I cannot admit to liking to do something if I am not perfect at it. And what am I perfect at? Not much. Teaching algebra? Probably not even that. And who would want to hear about it even if I was?

3 comments:

Benjamin said...

It's not all it's cracked up to be.

The Damsel said...

I hate that question too...it just seems so empty. I read, I listen to music, I daydream. But how does that let the person know who I am? They don't know I'm passionate (I like to think) or empathetic or anything.

JoAnna said...

Ahhh... I agree mumsy. I think people know me better than I realize because they sense who I am being around me. My students for example. It doesn't matter what my favorite color is or how many brothers I have. Only in the sense of what these things have made me. And that all comes out just in the way you treat people and make them feel.
P.S. Jamie, duh! I didn't know that was you. I meant to respond anyway but haven't had access to a computer (wink wink).