Wednesday, June 15, 2005

I've got a secret...

My question today is can you really love someone and have secrets from them? I'm not talking about keeping a journal that you don't want them to read, more just for the sake of letting your thoughts go than that you are keeping something from them. And I"m not talking about hiding an alternate lifestyle/personality. I just wonder if you can love someone enough to say you want to be with them forever but not tell them everything about you. It seems to me you couldn't. That if you truly wanted to share your existence with them, you would want and need them to understand even your sad and bad and ugly times- however in the past they might be. And, if you really expect them to love you, keeping something from them because you're afraid they won't want to love you in spite of it, isn't being truly honest.

1 comment:

Benjamin said...

I've always thought that if I loved someone, why wouldn't I want to share everything with her? It's sad to me when people act otherwise, but this seems to be the impression you can get sometimes (probably from TV and movies more than anything). Granted, we all need and enjoy quiet alone time, but to desire that the other person doesn't know something about you? Why?! I don't see how to reconcile this without it being somewhat selfish.

I know you're not necessarily talking about keeping secrets "now." Rather, do we need to disclose everything from the past -- I believe this is part of your question. I've thought about this, and I think it's tough. There are always things in our past that make us feel really stupid and that seem completely foreign to our (current) character. Disclosing these memories does not seem to serve much purpose. Then again, if we are a product of everything we've done and experienced in life, perhaps these contribute to us in some way.

This is something I've thought about a bit before. You're inspiring me to write, so I think I'll turn this into a general blog of my own. Not to steal your idea, but because you've got me thinking. I'll give you credit. Of course, I won't link to your site since you don't seem to like that. If you change your mind, I'll link to you. Plus, I'll try to make my own post unique enough that it doesn't seem completely unoriginal.